Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Duncan Hines Devil's Food


Today I baked another cake again. It turned out quite nice. I would upload a photo but I haven't finished decorating it yet. I used a 8x3 generic round pan purchased from Michael's and coated it heavily with Pan spray.

I don't know if I've mentioned it in my earlier posts, but I'm a novice when it comes to cake baking so bear with me if I mention many commonly known tips.

For those of you who are new to baking like me, I would like to provide a few tips.

1) Make sure that your pan is coated well with either vegetable shortening or some oil spray. Lightly sprinkle some flour on it (this prevents the cake mix from sticking to the sides).

2) Stand mixers are far better than hand mixers. Although the Kitchen Aid 3-Speed Hand Mixer (check it out)that I had was more powerful than my current Sunbeam Hand and stand Mixer (check it out), the Sunbeam mixer worked like a charm. It doesn't create as much mess as the Hand Mixer.

3) An 8x3 round pan holds one cake mix. You don't need to purchase two 8x2 round pans, unless you happen to want to make two cakes.

4) Wrap a wet towel around the round pan, cinched nicely by a bobby pin to help the cake bake evenly. Or you could buy Wilton's bake-even strips that comes in different sizes for different pans (check it out).

5) Duncan Hines Devil's Cake Mix tastes pretty good but it does have hydrogenated oil. :( I've looked for cake mixes with no hydrogenated oil at local supermarkets, but unfortunately, I haven't found one without it. Next time I'm going to follow a cake mix online that uses household ingredients.

6) To test if your cake is completely done, use a toothpick and stick it through the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, then your cake is done.

7) A 8x3 round pan takes approximately 1 hr. and 10 minutes to cook at 350 degrees.

No comments: